Web Sites Containing Nutritional Information
|Emphasis on Nutrition | Nutrition
Directories | Food Safety | Food/Agriculture
| Health | Resources for Kids | Regional Resources | Other Internet
Resources | NDSU Foods,
Nutrition and Health Publications
Compiled by Marilyn Swanson,PhD, RD, Head
and Professor, Department of Nutrition and Food Science, South Dakota State University and
Julie Garden-Robinson, PhD, LRD, Food and
Nutrition Specialist, Food and Nutrition Department, North Dakota State University.
Emphasis on Nutrition
- The American Dietetic Association http://www.eatright.org
Provides food and nutrition information from a professional association of dietitians.
Search for information on vitamin/mineral supplements and many other nutrition topics.
Includes frequently asked questions, nutrition resources, and information on the National
Center for Nutrition and Dietetics.
- ADA position paper on vegetarian diets http://www.envirolink.org/arrs/ADA.html
Information on health promotion, nutrition considerations and meal planning of
- American Society of Nutritional Sciences (American Institute ofNutrition) http://www.faseb.org/ain/
Provides background about AIN as well as information on members and index for the current
Journal of Nutrition
- Arizona Dietetic Program http://www.azstarnet.com/~bsmith/
The mission of the ADP is to provide accurate and timely information on the use of
nutrition as medical therapy. Includes a key word search.
- Byting In Newsletter-MetaMedia http://www.grossbauer-group.com/
Byting In newsletter and other publications for food and nutrition professionals.
- Center for Disease Control http://wonder.cdc.gov
Provides a single point of access to a variety of CDC reports, guidelines, and even
numeric public health data
- Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion Homepage http://www.usda.gov/fcs/cnpp.htm
Dietary Guidelines for Americans and other nutrition information.
- Children's Nutrition Research Center(CNRC) http://www.bcm.tmc.edu/cnrc
The CNRC is one of five USDA/ARS human nutrition research centers and is dedicated to
defining the nutrient needs of healthy children, birth through age 18, and pregnant and
- Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity at the Centers for Disease Control and
Topics to select include news and notices, consumer information, scientific information,
nutrition and physical activity projects, and professional training opportunities
- Dietetics Online http://www.dietetics.com
Registered dietitians group from America Online
- 5 A Day Homepage http://www.dole5aday.com
Because of the important health benefits of eating fruits and vegetables, all national
health authorities recommend that Americans increase their fruit and vegetable intake to
at least 5 a day. This provides clues on how to do that.
- FNSPEC Archived Messages http://hermes.ecn.purdue.edu:8001/Links/fnspec_mg
Archived messages from food and nutrition specialists electronic mailing list.
- Food and Nutrition Information Center http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic
Provides information on the Dietary Guidelines, the Food Guide Pyramid, and USDA reports.
Click on Internet Resources to get to Index of Food and Nutrition Internet
- The Food Allergy Network http://www.foodallergy.org
The Food Allergy Network (FAN) is a nonprofit organization established to help families
living with food allergies, and to increase public awareness about food allergies and
anaphylaxis (a severe life-threatening reaction). FAN provides education, emotional
support, and coping strategies.
- Food Supplements http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/IBIDS
Research citations and abstracts regarding food supplements, and links to other helpful
- International Food Information Council Foundation http://ificinfo.health.org
Nutrition information for consumers, professional, and educators in a well-developed site.
Presented from perspective of IFIC, supported by the food and beverage industry.
- Nutrition Action Health Letter http://www.cspinet.org/nah/
Information on avoiding diet-related diseases and other information. Tends to have a
consumer advocate point of view.
- Nutrition Analysis Tool http://spectre.ag.uiuc.edu/~food-lab/nat/
Web-based diet analysis from University of Illinois
- NIH-Office of Dietary Supplements http://odp.od.nih.gov/ods/
Provides research information on the role of dietary supplements, as well as Computer
Access to Research on Dietary Supplements (CARDS) and links to other organizations.
- Team Nutrition http://220.127.116.11/teanut/default.htm
Provides background about the National Team Nutrition efforts.
- Tufts University Nutrition Navigator: A Rating Guide to Nutrition Websites http://navigator.tufts.edu
Find reliable nutrition information online. Websites are rated by the Tufts University
School of Nutrition Science and Policy. Use this to find a particular site, find out a
site's rating, or submit a site for review.
- Weight-control Information Network http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/nutrit/win.htm
Provides reliable information on nutrition and obesity. Covers topics such as prescription
medications for obesity treatment, very low-calorie diets, weight cycling, and weight loss
for life information.
Nutrition Directories, Indexes and Search Sites
Food Safety Information
- HACCP: Seven Steps to Food Safety http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/media/haccp/hccp.htm
This video provides an overview of the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP)
system for the foodservice industry. A HACCP plan in your operation can assist you in
serving safe food.
- Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/list.html
Posts information on biotech, food additives, pesticides and the Bad Bug Book; on food
- Consumer Information Catalog http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov
Contains a list of government publications, activities and links to other interesting
- Food and Drug Administration http://www.fda.gov
Click on Foods to get to the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. Search
capabilities include information on food and nutrition quackery such as FDA product
warnings plus dietary supplement rules on labeling. Main site leads to points of interest
including: FDA News, Animal Drugs, etc.
- Food Chemical News Main page http://www.fcnpublishing.com/
Food Chemical News Calendar, information from FCN headlines of current issues and Food
Labeling and Nutrition information.
- FoodSafety.gov http://www.FoodSafety.gov
A "gateway" website designed to help the public find government food safety
information more readily on the Web. Provides links to food safety-related Web sites from
federal, state and local government agencies.
- Institute of Food Science and Technology (IFST) http://www.easynet.co.uk/ifst/
An international, independent incorporated professional body of food scientists and
technologists. Based in the United Kingdom. Many wonderful and rapidly changing links.
- Food Safety Inspection Service http://www.fsis.usda.gov/
The Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) is the public health agency in the U.S.
Department of Agriculture responsible for ensuring that meat, poultry, and egg products
are safe, wholesome, and accurately labeled.
- National Council Against Health Fraud http://www.ncahf.org
Good source to evaluate food and nutrition fads and fallacies.
- National Food Safety Database http://www.foodsafety.org
Over 1,300 documents produced to educate food handlers on ways to prevent foodborne
- USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning http://www.foodsafety.org/canhome.htm
Related to Food and Agriculture
- Agricultural Resources for Idaho http://info.ag.uidaho.edu
A web site from the Communications Center at the University of Idaho. Includes the
Resources Catalog, Idaho Ag. stories, and news and links for the 1996 Farm Bill Update.
- Cooperative State Research, Education, and Extension Service (CSREES) http://www.reeusda.gov
CSREES provides the focus to advance a global system of research, extension and higher
education in the food and agricultural sciences and related environmental and human
sciences to benefit people, communities, and the Nation.
- Department of Agriculture Main homepage http://www.usda.gov
Features information from the Administration on the Farm Bill as well as program missions
- FDA News http://www.fda.gov/opacom/hpnews.html
Provides press releases, background reports, new regulations and FDA Consumer Magazine.
- FoodCom Home Page http://www.batnet.com:80/foodcom
For professionals in the Food and Beverage industry, much information is available.
- Illinois Cooperative Extension Disaster Resource Site http://www.ag.uiuc.edu/~disaster/disaster.html
Provides access to information on disaster preparedness and recovery for the state of
Illinois and the Internet community
- Sustainable Vegetable Production Information http://www2.ncsu.edu/ncsu/cals/sustainable/peet
Includes information on techniques, integrated pest management and crop profiles
- The Food Resource http://www.orst.edu/food-resource/food.html
An information base that provides a collection of jpeg images of foods, other foods
references, and links to related documents.
- The National Agricultural Library http://www.nalusda.gov/
National Agricultural Library is a major international source agriculture and related
- University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences http://gnv.ifas.ufl.edu
UF/IFAS is a statewide organization dedicated to teaching, research, and extension and
serves the agricultural, human and natural resources needs for the state of Florida
- USDA-Extension Service Home Page http://www.usda.gov
Contains information on USDA's news and current information, message from the
Secretary,agencies and programs, and more.
- United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization http://www.fao.org/
- American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org/
Provides search capabilities to get accurate information on cancer related topics. Find
information on the use of supplements and herbs in cancer research.
- American Heart Association http://www.amhrt.org/
The American Heart Association is a not-for-profit, voluntary health organization funded
by private funds. Its mission is to reduce disability and death from cardiovascular
diseases and stroke. These include heart attack, stroke and related disorders.
- American Medical Association http://www.ama-assn.org/
The AMA serves physicians and their patients by establishing and promoting ethical,
educational, and clinical standards for the medical profession and by advocating for the
highest principle of allthe integrity of the physician/patient relationship.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) http://www.cdc.gov
Contains articles on Ebola, Lyme, Salmonella, and other infectious diseases.
- The Department of Health and Human Services http://www.os.dhhs.gov/
The Department of Health and Human Services is the States government's principal agency
for protecting the health of all Americans and providing essential human services,
especially for those who are least able to help themselves.
- Mayo Health Oasis http://mayohealth.org
Provides accurate nutrition information from the Mayo Clinic. Offers search capabilities
and links to other sites.
- National Library of Medicine http://www.nlm.nih.gov
Provides link to Medline and other databases. Search for health information or programs,
services, and publications.
- New England Journal of Medicine http://www.nejm.org
Abstracts from recent issues of the NEJM are available and readers are able to order
copies of complete articles.
- Oncology Data Base/University of Pennsylvania (ONCOLINK) http://cancer.med.upenn.edu/
OncoLink is the first multimedia oncology information resource placed on the Internet.
OncoLink's mission is consistent with that of the University of Pennsylvania Medical
Center, and the University of Pennsylvania Cancer Center which has sanctioned its use and
- Onhealth http://onhealth.com/ch1/
Provides the latest information on vitamins. Search capabilities on nutrition-related
topics, such as the importance of folic acid and the role of antioxidant vitamins, are
reported here by the New England Journal of Medicine. Also provides a USP drug database.
- Quack Watch: Your Guide to Health Fraud, Quackery and Intelligent Decisions http://www.quackwatch.com
Provides a wealth of information on quackery including what it is and how to identify it.
- Vitamin Update http://bookman.com.au/vitamins/
Provides research information on vitamins and minerals including functions, recommended
intakes, sosurces, toxic effects, interactions, and medical uses. This site has been
created by a pharmacist-author.
Resources for Kids
Other Internet Resources